I got a distinction for this suite of poems, they didn't get published, so I'll stick them here...
A thinner day:
I reflect on an image
I refuse to look at
Shop windows, side mirrors
My enemies
Never strain to catch a glimpse
In case it's worse than I think.
But I won't always look like this
I don't always eat like this
Just catch me on a thinner day
Picking fights:
Choose your player
With the brick wall build
Electric veins
Armour unshakable
Battle scars
Choose your fighting style
Weapon unmatched
Super power
Rocket launcher
Fatal blows
And choose your opponent
The video game
Or a drunk guy in a pub
A homeless man because you feel like it
Just a guy who pissed you off
If you're going to fight
Let your fingers do the beating.
Let's see the flop:
The cards reflect in my eyes
Buried behind dark glasses
A test of truths across a green felt table
Mountains of chips before me
Not salt and vinegar
I'll conquer, whatever the cost
Players welcome royalty
Wearing suits
Is that man bluffing? Or is he huffing and puffing for nothing?
Psychology or perspective
Not addiction
I'll win next time
You can bet on it.
A scooter ride to the end:
Look at me on my scooter, the ones old people ride
Push you off the footpath with my little flag raised high
True I'm only thirty-three but I've got a shoddy ankle
And it's a long way down the street, at least a quarter of a mile.
I also weigh a fair bit, too much to drag around
It'd be so much easier, if I could just be sitting down.
My hearts not too good either, it could go at any time
Diabetes slows me down although I should be in my prime.
Instead I'll ride my scooter, all the way down the street
Turn in at the cemetery and get off the scooter seat
They've dug a hole already, I'll just take one little step
Off the edge and six feet down, never to be lazy again.
Remember that time I was so drunk:
I've only sunk a few tonight
Don't know why I feel so woozy
I need to make it to the bathroom
Then go back and join the party.
But with every step I take a pain in my gut rips through me
I fall and crawl towards the bowl, collapse.
My cheek rests upon the seat.
It's not so bad, I'm 27, I've had a damn good life.
Like, remember that time I got drunk and fell down the hill.
Man, that was funny.
And the time I got pissed and had a fight with a barman.
And got stabbed by a shard of glass.
You haven't lived until you've been beaten up by a barman
Oh yeah, and don't forget that time I was so drunk
I collapsed in the bathroom and died.
The flashing lights, faces merged to muffled voices, then nothing.
Yeah... those were the days, weren't they... the days I lived for.